Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"How To Sew Like a Crazy Lady": Lesson 2 (Your Fly Is Down... or... XYZ, eXamine Your Zipper!)

Honestly, I am surprised you came back for more... You sure do like your crazy! We like you too... *wink*

This week we are going to talk about that Z word, the one that gets you everytime... no, not Zombie, not Zydeco, and no not Zachary Levi (though that's a good guess, mmmmmmmmmm Chuck)... we are here to talk about ZIPPERS! *booooo* *hiss* I know, you all HATE sewing zippers, it's SOOOOOOO hard. I am going to let you in on a secret. It's not hard, it's so easy you are going to want to punch me for not telling you sooner.
True Story.

I sew a LOT of zippers, I make loads of zipper pouches because it's a great way to use up scraps, they are super handy, and they are quick and easy! I tend to accumulate lots of zippers from thrift stores, family members, and swapping so I usually end up with lots of random sizes of zippers. Now what do you do when you are making a tiny coin sized zipper pouch, but the only zipper you have is 20in too long... you cut it! VOILA! Now you have a short zipper, yep, you can cut zippers. Some people will stitch a quick zigzag at the end so you don't unintentionally unzip the zipper pull off the end, but I am (lazy) just careful or at least I try to be (and then when it inevitably happens I curse, throw something and move on about my business).

The ZIPPER FOOT! I love my zipper foot, one came with my cheapo Singer sewing machine so chances are, you already have one. Mine looks like this...

You make sure it's on the other side of your zipper... like so...

And it works like a charm. Also handy for sewing piping or other snug spots.

This is my zipper pouch sewing shortcut, it's GENIUS and saves me loads of time (probably not really loads, but I like to think it saves me time and thread and therefore money...), it's totally top secret so don't go telling everyone, like posting it on the internet or something.

First, unzip your zipper. WOAH! Put your pants back on. Unzip the zipper that you will be using for your zipper pouch! Now lay your lining fabric (right side up on the table and put your zipper, right side up, on top with the tops lined up, like so...

Now place your outer fabric on top, wrong side up, make sure everything is all lined up... seeee...

Look it's a zipper sandwich! *nom*


Now we are going to sew it, all stacked up like so, it's going to be awesome, I promise! I like to line up the edge of the fabric with the edge(ish) of the other side of the middle thingy (yes, that's the technical term) on the zipper foot. And GO!

Keep going, you can do it!

YAY!!!!! Good job!


Now turn it right side out and admire...

And the lining side...

See, how nicely the edges are hidden in between...

To proceed with the pouch you do the same thing on the other side of the zipper and then finish sewing it up however you would normally do so (there are tons of tutorials out there, I don't plan on posting my own since it's just like all the others).

You can apply this method to just about any zipper project, just line up the edges and sew it! Obviously this won't work for fancy invisible zippers, but I don't have much use for them so we won't even talk about that.

Now I know what you are thinking... what the heck am I going to do with this HUGE pile of ends that I cut off all those long a$$ zippers. This is something I have been trying to figure out for a while... there are lots of projects that roll zippers up until flower brooches and things of that nature. I am thinking though I will start using them for straps (like on wristlets or key rings/fobs...) or if you don't have terrible trash guilt (like me), toss them.

Other uses for zippers, TOYS! You're trying to sew and your toddler won't leave you alone, hand them a zipper. You're trying to sew and your 5 year old won't leave you along, hand them a zipper. Now you have 2 children playing with zippers, leaving you alone, until they start fighting over them because the toddler wants 2 zippers, more specifically, the 5 year olds zipper... oh... fun stuff.

Alright, that's really enough rambling from this crazy lady... so I hope you have enojyed your stay and join us next week when we will pretend to know what we are talking about when discussing iron-ons/fusibles. I just love ironing stuff onto other stuff when I sew.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm not wearing a zipper. Or pants. DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND??!?