Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"How To Sew Like a Crazy Lady": Lesson 1 (How to tip with paper... *wait, what?*)

This isn't going to be a "How to Get Started Sewing 101" kind of thing, my brain doesn't work from start to finish, I start at 4, jump to 7, back down to 2 and then things just get weird. So at times, this may be hard to follow. Some things may be very basic and you could teach your kindergartner how to do them (Hey, I have one of those too!!) but somethings may be more advanced and might not make a bit of sense to you (sometimes they don't make sense to me either).

I have been thinking for a few days about what I might like to start with and I decided to start off with a few tips about paper... I know what you are thinking, WTH does paper have to do with sewing?!?... Well, you will see.

1. You don't need to spend money on fancy pattern paper, there are lots of cheaper alternatives out there. First off tissue paper, like the kind you wrap presents with that you can get like 20 sheets for a buck at the dollar store, works great (white, red, polka dot, doesn't matter, if you are using colored though be careful not to get it wet since sometimes they do bleed and you don't want them staining your fabric). Another great alternative is paper grocery bags, they are nice and thick so you don't have to worry about accidentally tearing it when you inevitably sit on it or your baby tries to DESTROY (it happens, more than you would think). My personal favorite paper to use though is the paper they put between the pieces when you buy furniture from IKEA, yes, you read that right. If you are like me, ALL of your furniture if from IKEA. And if you are cloth diaper using, composting, recycle-aholics like we are, you don't just throw that paper away, you hoard it, rolled up nicely in the corner for all of eternity. Well, BUST OUT THAT PAPER, because for serious, it is the best paper I have found to use for patterns, it's in big sheets and it's just the right thickness (not so thin it shreds when you look at it, but not so thick you can see through it to trace).

2. Speaking of tissue paper... if you ever sew with a sticky material, like vinyl or PUL you know that it gets hella annoying because it sticks to the presser foot and will drive you MAD (curse profusely, threaten to throw your sewing machine off the deck and then storm out of the room mad). You could spend some $$ on a teflon presser foot OR you can save that money and spend it on fabric (mmmmmm FABRIC *drools*) and instead get out a sheet of tissue paper, roll it up and then cut 1 inch strips and then you just lay those handy little strips on top your sticky fabric (where your seams will be) and VIOLA! they slide right through, all beautifully sewn. BRILLIANT, I know.

3. Paper Templates! I love making templates, I am a nerd like that. I make them for everything. When I make my wipes I have an 8x8 square of cardstock that I bust out and use for cutting my squares. I like using a heavier weight cardstock because it's more rigid than just a sheet of paper and I have an F*TON of it in my stash from that time when I thought "Oh Hey, I am going to be awesome and make cards". Cereal/mac-n-chees boxes, shipping boxes, all kinds of boxes and heavier weight papers work great. I also use templates for my basic applique shapes (like the ties). What's really handy about the cardstock templates for appliques is that you can print right on the cardstock and then it makes it a lot easier to cut out. Around here, easier = better.

Next time I *might* actually draft up a plan for my post and then when I get this far I won't just be like "Ummmm, derrrr, I can't think of anything else". So I guess that means this is the end of the road... for Lesson 1.

If you are having trouble with something in the sewing room or are wondering how a crazy lady would do something, let me know and maybe we can address it in the future!
Tune in next week for... FUN WITH ZIPPERS!


You may have noticed a trend of reusing materials, recyclables and such. Yes, we do love our Mother Earth and all that good stuff, but often times my usage of "materials on hand" comes from a desire to not want to have to get dressed in real people clothes and go buy the proper materials. I make due, a lot, and it works for me.

No comments: